This Fall Harvest Salad with Persimmon and Pomegranate is a wonderful celebration of the season with my favorite fall flavors all on one plate. Every fall, I eagerly anticipate the appearance of persimmons and pomegranates at the market. With their bright color and delicious, sweet taste they are my go-to additions to many fall dishes.
Not everyone is familiar with persimmons, these small orange orbs with the shiny skin that show up at the markets in the fall and disappear by February. When ripe and soft, persimmons become very sweet and can be sliced or scooped out and eaten by the spoonful.
Both the persimmon (lotos) and pomegranate (rodi) have been enjoyed in Greece since ancient times. In fact, the pomegranate is considered the symbol of fertility and abundance and it is linked to Persephone in Greek mythology. They are also powerhouses of nutrition and are packed with vitamins A and C.
This fall harvest salad starts with a bed of peppery arugula, which is then layered with toasted walnuts, crispy diced apples, sliced sweet persimmon, tangy Feta cheese and ruby pomegranate seeds. It all comes together with a bright maple syrup vinaigrette–a staple in my house during the fall and winter.
This salad is simple enough to make during the weeknight, and “fancy” enough for a celebration dinner too. It will certainly make its way to my Thanksgiving table this year!
- 12 walnut halves, lightly toasted
- 5 TBSP. extra virgin Greek olive oil
- 2 TBSP. red wine or balsamic vinegar
- 1 tsp. Dijon mustard
- 1 TBSP. maple syrup
- ½ tsp. sea salt and freshly ground pepper to taste
- 4 cups wild or baby arugula
- 1 ripe persimmon, peeled and thinly sliced
- 4 oz. Greek Feta cheese, crumbled
- ½ cup arils (the edible seeds) of a medium pomegranate
- ½ crisp apple, diced
- 2 TBSP. green pumpkin seeds (optional)
- Heat a small nonstick skillet over medium heat and lightly toast the walnuts for a couple of minutes. Watch that they do not burn. Set aside to cool.
- Prepare the dressing by whisking together the olive oil, vinegar, mustard, maple syrup, salt and pepper. Taste and adjust the seasoning.
- In a large bowl or platter, place the arugula as a base and top with the sliced persimmon. Add the dressing and mix gently. Top with the Feta cheese, the pomegranate arils, diced apple, and pumpkin seeds (if using). Serve at once.
Here are two more tasty Fall Recipes from the blog’s archives:
THANK YOU FOR FOLLOWING ALONG AND FOR READING THIS POST!
If you are not already following my blog, please subscribe to Marilena’s Kitchen to have every new post delivered straight to your e-mail box!
I would love to know what you think – please leave me a comment below!