Everybody loves a good panzanella salad. Creamy mozzarella cheese gets combined with juicy cherry tomatoes, fresh basil, cucumbers and toasted bread cubes and is then all tossed together with a deliciously seasoned simple vinaigrette. These colorful panzanella salad skewers are a play on this classic Italian salad and a fun and unexpected way to serve a salad without needing silverware.
This is hardly a recipe, as all you really need to do is to toast some bread cubes and then thread the ingredients on skewers. You can make these appetizers as small or as big as you want (using longer skewers for larger antipasti). I often make a Greek version of these, using feta cheese cubes and Kalamata olives instead of the cheeses and olives suggested here. This version is also delicious and worth trying.
These panzanella salad skewers make an easy and portable appetizer which is perfect for outdoor entertaining, picnics, barbecues and potlucks. Just assemble everything in advance and sprinkle with the vinaigrette right before serving. These colorful and tasty morsels are sure to impress your guests. Be sure to have some sparkling Italian wine on hand and you are all set!
- 2 cups day-old country bread, cut into ⅔” cubes
- --- sea salt, pepper & oregano to season the bread
- 2 TBSP. olive oil
- 24 sm. cherry or grape tomatoes, red & yellow, ripe and juicy
- 24 sm. fresh mozzarella balls packed in salted water (ciliegine)
- ½ sm. English cucumber, unpeeled, cut into thick slices and then into quarters
- --- small green olives (optional)
- --- fresh basil leaves
- 6 TBSP. extra virgin olive oil
- 2-3 TBSP. red wine vinegar
- --- pinch of dried oregano
- --- sea salt & pepper to taste
- Preheat the oven to 375 °F. Cut the bread into ⅔” cubes and place on a small baking sheet.
- Drizzle the bread with some olive oil and sprinkle generously with some salt, pepper and oregano. Toss the bread cubes well and bake until lightly golden brown. Remove it from the oven and let it cool. Alternatively, you can toast the bread cubes in a skillet.
- In a small bowl, whisk all the ingredients of the vinaigrette until fully incorporated.
- To assemble the skewers, thread a toasted bread cube, a mozzarella ball with a basil leaf wrapped around it, a cherry tomato and the cucumber or olive. Repeat with the rest of the skewers.
- Just before serving, drizzle the skewers with vinaigrette.
If you make or plan to make this recipe, please let me know!
Leave a comment below or take a photo and tag me on Instagram with #marilenaleavitt
This month last year on Marilena’s Kitchen:
All photos in this blog are mine, and the content is written by me. Both are copyright protected.
Please do not use my photos without prior written permission. If you wish to republish this recipe, please link back to marilenaskitchen