Snow finally arrived last night in Northern Virginia and the temperatures dropped to below freezing. The first thing that came to mind this morning was to make this comforting and healthy baked oatmeal with walnuts. This is a simple recipe that usually one of our children makes on Saturday mornings and is always enjoyed by all.
Several years back, we visited Lancaster County in southeastern Pennsylvania and stayed with an Amish family on their farm. It was quite an experience to see how hard everyone worked on the farm and how even the smallest family members had several chores, like milking the cows at 5:00 am, or, rounding up the horses in the barn, to feeding the animals. From what we observed, they did not complain. The family was nearly self-sufficient as their farm provided pretty much everything they ate. No electricity meant early to bed and early to rise. Our early rise, however, was rewarded with a delicious breakfast prepared by one of the younger daughters, consisting of fresh eggs, breads with jams and home-churned butter, and, this delicious baked oatmeal. We had never had anything like this before and quickly cribbed the recipe on a small piece of paper. We have been making it ever since!
The dry ingredients are mixed right into the baking dish and the liquid ingredients are then added. The whole dish needs only about thirty minutes in the oven. At that point the kitchen starts to smell oh-so inviting which should bring everyone running to the table. You can serve this baked oatmeal with just a drizzle of milk and mixed berries, or, if you love yogurt, with a tiny dollop of yogurt on top. I really hope you give this a try!
- 3 cups rolled oats
- ½ cup walnuts (or pecans) toasted and chopped
- 2 tsp. baking powder
- 1 tsp. ground cinnamon
- ¾ tsp. fine sea salt
- ¾ cup light brown sugar
- 1 cup milk
- 2 large eggs
- ½ cup butter, melted and cooled slightly
- 1 tsp. vanilla extract
- Preheat the oven to 350°F.
- In a 10”x 8”or an 8"x 8" baking dish, mix together the oats, nuts, baking powder, cinnamon, salt and sugar.
- In small bowl, whisk together the milk, eggs, melted butter, and vanilla extract. Drizzle the milk mixture over the oats and stir gently to combine.
- Bake for about 30 minutes, or until the top is golden and the oat mixture is set. Remove from the oven, and allow it to cool for a few minutes.
- Serve warm with some extra milk on the side, and if desired, with a small dollop of yogurt and berries.
Comforting and Healthy Baked Oatmeal with Walnuts
Step by Step
Ingredients for baked oatmeal
Oatmeal Ready for the Oven
Baked Oatmeal just out of the Oven
Baked Oatmeal, Served with milk and Topped with Yogurt and Berries–ready to eat!
Sharing is caring – share this post with a friend!