Perfect for a simple Sunday BBQ! This is a “deconstructed” version of the traditional Greek souvlaki which is wrapped in pita bread with all the fixings stuffed inside. Instead, well marinated and grilled to perfection chicken kebabs are piled on a platter, along with tzatziki, chopped red onions, Feta cheese and sweet grape tomatoes. Pita bread is also lightly grilled, cut into wedges and served alongside the kebabs.
As is often the case with any grilled meat a key to success is the marinade. This flavorful marinade can also be used for pork kebabs (using pork tenderloin). Double the marinade recipe to set aside for use with another kind of protein and enjoy it for a second meal in the week to come!
Grilled Lemon-Garlic Chicken Kebabs with Warm Pita Bread Wedges
- 1 TBSP. lemon zest
- ¼ cup lemon juice
- 3 med. garlic cloves, minced
- ¼ cup olive oil
- 2 tsp. dried Greek oregano
- 1 tsp. dried spearmint
- 1 tsp. sea salt
- ½ tsp. freshly ground black pepper
- 1 sm. red onion
- 1½ lbs. chicken thigh meat (or breast meat), boneless and skinless
- — — salt and pepper
- 6 — metal skewers (or wooden skewers soaked in water for 2 hours)
- 4-6 pieces Mediterranean pita bread (pocket-less type)
- Over a medium bowl, zest the lemon, making sure you do not grate any of the pith (white part of the peel). Add the juice of the lemons.
- Mince the garlic and add it to the bowl. Next, add the olive oil, oregano, spearmint, salt and pepper. Mix well. Reserve one third of your marinade to brush on your kebabs before serving.
- Cut the red onion into quarters, separate each one into 3 or 4 sections and then set aside.
- Cut the chicken in 1½-inch cubes and add to the bowl with the lemon, oil and herbs. Mix well to coat the chicken with the marinade, then cover with plastic wrap and refrigerate for 4-6 hours (another trick is to mix them all in a large, zip-lock-style bag, tossing regularly).
- Prepare a grill or set a grill pan over two burners and heat over medium-high heat. Loosely thread the pieces of chicken onto the skewers, alternating the chicken with sections of onion. Sprinkle both sides of the chicken kebabs with salt and pepper. Place the skewers on the hot grill and cook for 10 to 15 minutes, turning a couple of times, until the chicken has nice grill marks and is cooked through. Brush some of the reserved marinade on the hot kebabs and remove to a serving plate. Cover loosely with foil to keep warm.
- Place the pita on the hot grill until just heated through.
- To serve, cut the pita into wedges and arrange on the plater, alongside some tzatziki sauce (made with Fage yogurt), chopped red onions, cubes of Greek Feta cheese, grape tomatoes cut in half. Generously sprinkle with some dried oregano. Add the warm kebabs on the platter and serve right away. Enjoy a real Greek feast!